Instant messaging and calling app for multiple platforms
- Category Internet phone
- License Free
- Version Windows 5.9.1
- Size 101.21 MB
- Works under Windows 8 / Windows 7 / Windows Vista / Windows XP
- Language English
- Program by Viber Media
Viber for Windows allows you to call, chat and send SMS messages for free to other users of Viber. The program is a VoIP messenger that allows you to make voice and video calls and chat with friends using a large collection of stickers and emojis.
This is the desktop version of the more popular mobile Viber app. In order to use this desktop version of Viber, you must first have Viber installed on your smartphone. The app is available for iPhone, Android, BlackBerry, Symbian and Windows Phone. Once you have the app installed on both your phone and your computer, you can sign in to your account from both locations, and any contacts will be synched automatically.
Viber for desktop essentially acts as a front end for the phone app, although VoIP calls and video chats are made directly from your computer. Chat logs and history are continuously synchronized between your computer and mobile phone. VoIP calls to other users of Viber are entirely free, even if your friends live on a different continent. Both of you can download the Viber app and start talking over the internet for free, whether from your phone or from the computer.
The Viber interface is easy to learn and fun to use. Call quality is typically much higher than other VoIP apps of this type, but this will ultimately depend on distance and the quality of the networks you are connecting over. Video chat is also supported, as is multi-way chat for up to 100 people. Tones for incoming messages can be customized, and the overall color scheme and mood of the app are uplifting and positive. New users will enjoy the feel of the app and appreciate the ability to make free, high-quality phone calls as well.
Using the desktop version of the app does have some benefits over using the mobile version. Especially when video conferencing, users will appreciate the additional screen space. The video feed can be set in full-screen mode or the user can decide to see the message queue on the side of the video feed. Notifications for the desktop app pop up in the system tray.
- Viber is easy and fun to use, and the desktop app is just as flexible as the mobile app.
- Users can place free phone calls over the internet to other Viber users.
- Call quality is usually better than other VoIP apps of this type.
- The app is stable and rarely drops calls made over a steady connection.
- Viber has a large collection of unique stickers and fun in-app features.
- The Viber desktop app can only be used if you already have the app installed on your smartphone.
- Free VoIP calls can only be placed to other viber users who have a data connection. The Viber Out feature allows you to call landlines and mobiles, but this feature is not free.
- Viber can consume more cellular data than other messaging apps of its type, especially if stickers or video messaging is used.